The reading have helped me understand the importance of having a high quality data collecting program, as well as a program that supports care providers with making clinical decisions. The programs that are being used today in the medical field are always getting updated and more user friendly. These programs help providers and care givers make correct decisions by allowing for options that give warnings, reminders, on-hand information about medications, patient history and allergies, and so on. I never realized how useful these programs really could be and how much work goes into them. I really like one of the readings that mentions that each nurse does not use these programs to best of their abilities. I think that it would be important to train staff on how to use the system information to help in care provided to the patient. I personally have been using the Help2 system, which is the program used at Intermountain, more than I used to due to the fact that all the labs, radiology reports, provider dictations, etc. are collected and formatted into the program. This will help me get a better picture of my patient and allow me to answer providers questions when asked.
With all this information, one needs to be careful because there is some information that should be delivered to the family by the doctor and not the nurse. I have been in a situation that a nurse has told the family of a crucial report before the doctor had the opportunity to do so. As for me, the readings have helped me understand the importance of these programs and how they will allow me to better myself now as a nurse and in the future as a Family Nurse Practitioner.
Well said Dorian, I agree that training on utilizations of these systems is important, interestingly, I have found that clinicians are more responsive to the utilization of these systems when they are trained with fellow clinicians in their field.
ReplyDelete